Resources for Volunteers
Connect With A Career As A Volunteer
One of the best ways to know whether a job is right for you is to see what it involves up-close. Hospitals and other health care providers offer volunteer opportunities that can help you see health care in action. Whether helping answer phones, delivering supplies or spending a day job shadowing, there are lots of ways to learn more about how health care organizations function by volunteering.
Featured Hospital Volunteer Programs
Boone Hospital Center – Columbia, Mo.
- Volunteers at Boone Hospital should have a passion for people and be able to provide compassionate care for our patients, visitors and staff. Teenagers are also invited to volunteer as part of our “Volunteen” program. Other volunteer opportunities at Boone Hospital Center include admissions greeter, gift shop, GI lab, ICU waiting room, surgery waiting room, scheduling/volunteer office, palliative care and Boone Amabassador. Visit Boone’s Volunteer page to learn more.
North Kansas City Hospital – Kansas City, Mo.
- You don’t have to be a doctor or nurse to make a difference at North Kansas City Hospital. Volunteers play an important role in delivering patient care, especially in three key areas: customer service, support and special duties. Visit North Kansas City Hospital’s volunteer page to learn more.
Northeast Regional Medical Center – Kirksville, Mo.
- Volunteering opportunities are available in many departments throughout the hospital campus. If you are passionate about community service, care deeply for people and have the time and energy, then contact Northeast Regional Medical Center to find out how you can make a difference!
Citizens Memorial Hospital – Bolivar, Mo.
- At CMH, volunteers make an enormous difference in the everyday lives of our patients. From delivering flowers and sitting with patients to helping with fundraisers, volunteers are an invaluable asset to our hospital. We have opportunities including helping at the information desk, the gift shop, and being a hospital host. We also have volunteers working within many departments, working at the CMH Senior Health Center, visiting our long-term care facilities, and helping our hospice workers. Visit CMH’s volunteer page for more information.
Ozarks Medical Center – West Plains, Mo.
- Volunteers are a vital part of Ozarks Medical Center as they enhance the high quality care given to patients and their families. In 2013 alone, 210 volunteers contributed 28,484 hours to Ozarks Medical Center, a contribution valued at more than $540,000.
Volunteers serve in a variety of roles throughout the health care system, assisting many different departments and gaining a variety of skills. Whatever an individual interest might be, OMC will work with volunteers to find a schedule and position to suit them.
Southeast Hospital – Cape Girardeau, Mo.
- Volunteers at Southeast Hospital wrap the gift of time with a special talent for caring.
Southeast Hospital’s Auxiliary volunteers contribute more than 45,000 hours annually. The Auxiliary includes over 500 members and works closely with students from the Southeast Missouri University.
There are no age restrictions for adult volunteers. Every effort is made to pair each volunteer’s interest and time availability with service opportunities open at the time. People from all over the region are active participants in the volunteer program.
Each summer, Southeast sponsors a popular Junior Volunteer program for young people age 14-18.
Freeman Health System – Joplin, Mo.
- Freeman volunteers make patients and their families more comfortable through personal attention, dedication, and a genuine desire to enrich the lives of others. Contact Freeman today to give the precious gift of your time and make a difference in the lives of others.
Saint Louis University Hospital – St. Louis, Mo.
- It takes a special kind of person to work in this fast-paced, ground-breaking environment, and volunteers are a necessary part of assuring that those who arrive at our door receive the very best care and compassionate service.
Whatever your experience or level of expertise, the service you provide at Saint Louis University Hospital will touch the lives of the patients and families, the visitors, the employees and the physicians. As a volunteer, you are an essential part of what we do.
We’re eager for you to help us make a difference. We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities and assignments throughout the hospital with flexible hours and times. If you are at least 15 years of age, we would love to meet with you and talk about your interests.
Bothwell Regional Health Center – Sedalia, Mo.
- Our volunteers are a vital part of the services we provide to our patients and their families. They deliver flowers and newspapers, escort patients, assist patients’ families and visitors, staff the gift shop, prepare patient information packets, provide spiritual support, and make home visits to terminally ill patients.
By performing these small but very important services, our volunteers add a personal touch to the hospital and help make it a warm, friendly place. Volunteers make a real difference by providing the little extras our patients have come to appreciate.